Erin Monaghan presented the recommendations of the Bylaws Committee, chaired by Dave Chapman, which proposed numerous reforms (the bylaws hadn’t been looked at for 11 years!), including:
- adding language to promote inclusiveness
- giving the Full Committee flexibility in setting dues
- establishing renewable 10-year terms for ex-officio members (instead of the existing lifetime term)
- codifying that online meetings have the same official status as in-person meetings
- enabling the Executive Committee to call an emergency meeting of the Full Committee to pass a resolution on a subject of pressing importance. Note: There was some disagreement about this issue at the meeting, with some members pressing for the ability of the Executive Committee to issue statements on its own behalf to maximize ability to respond.
Unfortunately, because there was no quorum for an official meeting, no vote could be taken on the bylaws, which meant we also couldn’t vote on issuing a statement condemning the Supreme Court’s overturning of Roe (or any other matter). Reminder– it’s important to come out to the Full Committee meetings whenever possible!