The Executive Committee met and, after a few minutes of discussion, approved January 6, 2pm as the date and time for the biennial Reorganizational Mass Meeting (location to be announced soon). That meeting adjourned immediately and the Full Committee meeting began, with these highlights:
- Jim Nix’s “after-action report” on the 2023 election (see below).
- Brainstorming about 2024 (e.g. how to reach younger voters, who has announced or may announce soon as a candidate to run against Bob Good, Republicans outstaffing us at polling locations on Election Day and Early Voting).
- Every two years, in accordance with overarching DPVA rules and our bylaws, we elect new officers. This is happening on Saturday, January 6, at 2:00pm (location TBA). See above for more on this important function, but now’s the time to start considering what role you want to play in defending democracy in 2024!
- Fifth District report by Erin Monaghan: determined Democrats from each county and city in the Fifth gathered in Lynchburg at the district-wide 9/30 Extravaganza to make new friends and honor community contributors from the District. Senator Creigh Deeds and former congressional candidate Dr. Cameron Webb were speakers, and former Congressional candidate Josh Throneburg gave the evening’s invocation and dinner blessing. Charlottesville was well-represented! The Charlottesville community contributor honored was Leah Puryear (nominated by Erin). Erin brought back for Leah a certificate of recognition and small token of the Fifth District Committee’s gratitude and esteem for her career of service to the youth of Charlottesville, and to the entire city as an appointed City Council member.
- Albemarle Dems’ representative Madison Cummings thanked the many Cville Dems who (1) came out to their pre-election canvassing event featuring Senator Warner and (2) helped in various ways get Allison Spillman and other County candidates elected.There will not be a December meeting, so the next meeting will be the 1/6 biennial Reorganizational Mass Meeting.