As America comes dangerously close to defaulting on our debt obligations, which would have catastrophic economic consequences, Speaker Kevin McCarthy continues to demand an incredible 22% domestic spending cut.
You can help pressure Republicans to back down from tanking the economy by (1) retweeting some of the latest posts from the White House Twitter feed and (2) making sure your friends and family know just how much harm such massive cuts would cause, especially to the most vulnerable Americans.
Some specific effects:
- “Thirty million fewer healthcare visits. Fewer staff, increased claims backlog, longer wait times for benefits. Almost a $30 billion shortfall for veterans funding.” Military Times, 4/24/23
- “…kick 300,000 children out of child care and Head Start, slash nutrition services for more than 1 million seniors and turn off the heat in 5 million low-income homes.” MSNBC, 4/23/23
- “…make healthcare more expensive and less accessible for 2 million vulnerable people who rely on community health centers.” MSNBC, 4/23/23
- Education Secretary Miguel Cardona “said the budget cuts would hurt students and student loan borrowers in part by eliminating loan forgiveness, ‘pulling 60,000 educators and support staff from schools’ and ‘derail(ing) the response to the youth mental health crisis in this country.'” USA Today, 4/25/23
- “…make college more expensive by reducing the maximum Pell Grant award by nearly $1,000 for the 6.6 million recipients, as well as 80,000 who will no longer receive those grants.” MSNBC, 4/23/23