- Attendance was great —200+ people signed up, 59 of them at the sponsor levels. Thank you all!
- Actually, attendance was even greater — another 100 people were a block away at the Federal Building protesting the Supreme Court decision to strike down Roe v. Wade, and when they heard Sen Lucas was speaking they came over to hear her… so in the end, we had a crowd of 300!
- Financial success — we think this will put us in a good financial position to work hard on all the political issues facing us.
We’re holding a rally at this morning (Saturday 6/25) at 11am at the Free Speech Wall to protest the outrageous (Republican-engineered) Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, throwing out decades of legal precedent and going against the will of the American people.
If you’re still feeling this outrage, please join us for an hour to share your feelings with other community members and show your commitment to reversing this injustice.
We’re still lining up speakers for this last-minute event, but confirmed speakers included:
- our State Sen. Creigh Deeds
- Charlottesville City Council member Michael Payne
- a representative from Blue Ridge Abortion Fund
- a representative from the UVA Dems
- a recent high school graduate
In addition to these and other in-person speakers, we will be reading excerpts from the statements of some key local leaders and groups.
Anticipating the Supreme Court overturning abortion rights, the Cville Dems and the Blue Ridge Abortion Fund are sponsoring a Zoom webinar on Thursday June 23, 7:00-8:30pm, to help our community understand and prepare for the local challenges of the post-Roe abortion access landscape.
Pre-register here: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ssI39I46QEuznYVZsy0_YQ
- how we got here
- why the potential overturning of Roe isn’t just about abortion
- how to talk about abortion access as a moral and community good
- how community members can support abortion access today.
We’ve started doing “Turn Out the Vote Thursdays” every Thursday (taking the place of “Take Action Tuesdays”) from 5-7pm outside of Brazos Tacos, to overlap with the sunset market at IX Park.
We’re writing postcards to newly registered City of Charlottesville voters, making phone calls, and generally doing what’s needed to help us win in November. Come join us and hang out while we help elect Dems!